Proposal Tools and Samples
- Find Opportunity and Download Application Package - Includes steps and screenshots to follow to find a funding opportunity in the NIH Guide for Grants and Contracts and download the appropriate application forms.
- Annotated SF 424 (R&R) Form Set, Forms-C Series- SF424 (R&R) Application Package with field-by-field tips to avoid common errors and ensure successful submission of your application. NOTE: these documents are supplemental resources only. When preparing an application, applicants MUST follow the instructions in their Funding Opportunity Announcement (FOA) and Application Guide.
- NIH Web site with tips for writing grant applications
- NIH Tips for Applicants
- Data Sharing Plans
- Data Sharing Workbook – How researchers in various fields shared their data
- NSF Proposal Preparation
- A Guide for Proposal Writing
- Data Management Plans
- Completing a Grants.gov Application – Watch an overview on how to apply using Adobe Reader.
- Proposal Writing Tips
- A Guide to NSF Success – Article from Science
- The NIH R01 Tool Kit – Article from Science
- OSPA subscribes to "Research Development and Grant Writing News" published by Academic Research Funding Strategies for all SIU students, faculty and staff. Log in to SalukiNet and visit the channel on the "My Campus" tab for the link to the most current issue, or contact OSPA@siu.edu for more information.
Data Management Plans:
- Data Management Challenges in Analysis and Synthesis in Ecosystem Sciences- article from Scence of the Total Environment
- Ten Simple Rules for Creating a Good Data Management Plan - article from PLOS Computational Biology
Sample SF424 Forms:
- The link is a sample SF-424 form, which is the standard cover sheet for federal grants. It has been completed with information that is common to many SIU grants, but there are situations where the information included does not apply. When in doubt, contact your OSPA research project specialist.
Sample NSF Data Management Plans:
- Template for Data Management Plans - From University of Chicago
- Data Management Plan Examples - From University of Minnesota
Sample NSF Post-Doc Mentoring Plans:
Sample NIH Data Sharing Plans: